August 21, 2012

Next Homemade Project, Sneak Peek!

I went to the local hardware store today to pick out some wood for my new project. It's actually very hard to pick out the perfect pieces...most are bent in weird ways making them not lay flat. It's utterly important, if you are building something, that the materials you use are straight. If this step isn't taken, it will shift things in your project and make them crooked.
Back to my new thing... I'm going to be building a headboard for our bedroom!  Our poor bedroom has been pushed aside and neglected. It's the last of 2 rooms in the house that haven't been touched. Although I have ideas to totally make it over and build all new furniture for it, I'm down to the wire on time as I start school on Monday. Money is also getting tight as next week I go back down to part time. Our room will once again take the backseat to everything else going on. I am, however, bound and determined to not give up. Even if it means going to the hardware store once a week for a piece of lumber, until I have enough for my next project. Oh, I forgot to tell you, this was my favorite part of going to the hardware store...the cost of lumber: $30!!! Can you believe that? $30 for a solid wood headboard. I also picked up some steel wool for a side project that will tie in with making my headboard.
I've fallen in love with woodworking! It's not only makes the wallet happy, but it also provides that little touch of personalization and sense of pride that YOU made it. It excites me when I think about the pieces I want to build, but I have to keep telling myself, "in due time."
I'll be sure to update with my progress photos and my tips I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment