September 17, 2012

Fall Decor

Right after Labor Day, I got the itch to take all of my summer decorations down and to make it look like fall threw up in my house. So I ventured out to Hobby Lobby and Michael's...and spent a little more than expected. In my defense though, the fall garland and flowers were SUPER cheap and the vases I bought will serve more than fall decorations.
I replaced the summer flowers with fall flowers in my teapot.



This was fun! Got a bare wreath at Hobby Lobby for 2.99 and hot-glued various fall things on it.

With the abundance of pine trees here in the Black Hills, comes an abundance of pine cones. Not going out to the craft store and purchasing them. Nope, they are right in the backyard. I ended up about 2 miles from where we live and took a hike. I returned home with 2 plastic bags full of pine cones and a handful of different sticks and dried up grass. I baked the pine cones at 220 degree for 20 minutes. Let me just say when I took them out, it smelled like Christmas! I did the same with the sticks and grass. This kills whatever was living in the pine cones and pretty much dries up any sap on them. You have to be careful and keep a close eye on them...they can catch on fire. Here's my finished product.




What is really funny is the straw around the big pine cone bowl...that came off of a package. It was tied around to keep it closed! I think everything turned out perfect! Notice that I did end up getting some baskets for the bottom shelves of my table...they were 30% clearance at Target. What a steal!!

Until next time,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. Makes me want to be crafty :)

    ReplyDelete